Create Your Healing Experience

Is this office the right fit for you? Watch the New Member Orientation Video: CLICK HERE It is required before your first visit.

HOME...What Patients Say. ......Brain First/Body Freedom.......Translate Pain/Anxiety Correctly

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Not My Self Fulfilling Prophesy


Your self fulfilling prophesy is not my self fulfilling prophesy.
  Not to sound ungracious or uncaring, but I have my nervous system to protect.  

I guess that's just my side of stubborn. I don't want to add more harm to my life when I am working on undoing decades of harm.  Which is how my Ebook came to be.

My E-book is now out on kindle.  What Side of Stubborn: Why Do No Harm Means Undoing Decades of Harm

In one section of the book I discuss how difficult it is when sick people keep each other sick by the repetition of outdated, untrue health information.  

Getting back to the self fulfilling prophesy.  This study here from the University of Colorado demonstrates how our brains can interpret a stimulus to be more painful than it needs to be.  

If you expect pain, you will be in pain.  If you expect sickness you will get sick.  This is the self fulfilling prophesy.  

My son and husband have been sick at the same time with obnoxious colds that keep them home in bed.  I did not get sick while they were recovering.  Why?  Because  didn't expect to. If I kept my schedule balanced and didn't overreact to the situation, I did fine. 

I can pinpoint the times I was under the weather and knew exactly the stress that put me over the edge.  Getting ready for a trip once I had a cold.  I don't like planning trips and it makes me overthink things.  I had a  major flu when I began my outpatient internship.  I was angry because it was not going smoothly.  My dad had just died five months earlier, and I just wanted to finally graduate. 

Currently, the acute illness everyone is talking about gets too much media play.  The news outlets are showing the worst of the worst so your nervous system can't get out of fight or flight.  Unless you turn it off. 

I have chosen to disregard the "chicken little" reports that the sky is falling. The hospitals that are overrun with patients are singled out and highlighted.  I know that is not happening in the entire country.  Sometimes I have to decide that not every news story is my business.  I can only help the people around me, in  my town.  if other places have mismanaged their resources, what can I personally do about it?

There are so many statistical goof ups where the CDC is changing the numbers.  Podcasts interviewers are pointing out that the death counts have remained the same year by year and world wide the illness is mild for 99.5%.

Front line doctors are trying to talk about their successes and share with the public how simple medicines are very effective.  I don't like it that these positive stories are quickly ignored.  We deserve to hear second and third opinions. 

I also understand what makes someone succumb to the cytokine storm that scientist are making a buzz about.  Sadly, many people have been misinformed about preventive health or ignored their health altogether and are suffering from severe signs of acute toxic reactions. 

My take home message here is that I have been working through my own coping strategies to protect my health and shield myself from too many people crying wolf.  I will teach others how to plan their own coping, as well. 

As I've said before, I don't want to wind up my nervous so badly that it takes its revenge and harms my health.  I am taking care of my nervous system. 

I have a plan in place to move my brain, feed my brain and talk to my brain.  

I will share my strategy in Brain Sense Tele-Health sessions. 

I do understand how the brain can memorize patterns that can backfire and cause someone to become sick. I am doing the reverse. 

The self fulfilling prophesy I want to employ is one that manages stress, makes peace with the modern world and instills an unplugged relaxation routine.  

Two books that I found mesmerizing about how you can use your brain to your best advantage come to mind. 

Cure: A Journey In To The Mind Over Body, by Jo Marchant

The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge

If you need to feel good about the body God gave you.  If you need confidence that you can improve your health, these are two books that inspire me. 

If you share your story with me, I can help you make a plan.

Brain Sense Tele-Health.



No comments: