Create Your Healing Experience

Is this office the right fit for you? Watch the New Member Orientation Video: CLICK HERE It is required before your first visit.

HOME...What Patients Say. ......Brain First/Body Freedom.......Translate Pain/Anxiety Correctly

Saturday, September 03, 2022

When I Read the Obituaries

 

(Image courtesy: Sweetzer and Orange Store / Amazon) From time to time I read obituaries of people I used to see in my office.  When I reflect on their passing, most of them are folks who "dropped out of care."  They may have come in only once or twice.  

In chiro-land we use the term "dropped out of care" because the service we provide is based on a wellness paradigm that professes the importance of following nurturing protocols for the rest of one's life. 

To us chiropractors, someone dropping out of care is a big failure.  We blame ourselves for not being good enough teachers.  We weren't effective at explaining the profound connection between the brain and body.  We aren't inspiring enough when we discuss how much impact the chiropractic adjustment has on the neuro-plasticity of the brain.  For example, chiropractic adjustments result in positive changes on a person's follow up EEG (recording brain activity).  That's pretty spectacular. The discussion can be done on a very personal and relevant level without using complicated terminology. 

Many years ago, when I first saw one person in my office, I had huge concerns that were bothering me more than the initial complaint of back pain. I voiced that concern with the spouse.  Did I explain it adequately?  I knew the back pain would not clear up in one or two visits because there were more "problems" blocking the healing process. The nervous system was bogged down.  I wanted to pursue a more involved plan of action.  

And, the insurance coverage was limited.  Most people will only go as far as the insurance pocketbook, which I find very misleading to the public. But I know dentistry deals with the same thing. 

The spouse had a medical background which I thought would help us talk it out.  But, no.  The response was: it could only be back pain.  It's as if the back is completely separate from the rest of the body.  

Dentists, deal with that as well.  It is believed your mouth has nothing to do with the rest of the body (unless you have a heart problem, then you need a ton of antibiotics).

Mental health has the same hiccup.  Mental challenges are assumed to need treatment separate from the rest of the body.  I chose chiropractic because there is the realization of the link between the mind and the body.  But, old thoughts hang on....

I never saw this person again after two visits.  I read the obituary about 2 years later and I was sad.  I was sad for the two years lost with this person.  

I have the wonderful opportunity to see my peeps weekly for decades and walk their journeys with them.  Yes, they have their family physicians who work with them for years and years, but chiropractic is different. 

When we look to enhance the brain's perception of the outer and inner environments of a person, it is also an opportunity for personal growth which also has a deep impact on a person's life.  When folks come in for weekly maintenance, the growth is exciting. It is shared among everyone else in the waiting room.  It is a time to celebrate the innate powers of the body.  It is a time to foster a positive outlook which is very important to longevity. 

However, it's a free country and people who aren't interested in what I offer can go in a different direction. 

I saw a recent obituary of someone who I haven't seen in about 2 years as well.  This person had many stumbling blocks that kept her out of the office. She enjoyed her visits.  I loved watching her progress. She was upbeat and very appreciative, but she missed appointments and eventually stopped coming.  (Could have moved away, or had new stresses...I don't know) So, there's another 2 years of lost interactions.  A lost relationship. 

Chiropractic is a connection.  The spine connects to the brain.  But we are connected to each other.  We're here to help each other and share the journey. 

I hung a poster on my office door that says:

Pain is an Uncomfortable Way to be Comfortably Distracted

This is a message to remind us that there is an underside to our pain and health problems.  We may be living a repetitive theme of personal loss, grief or anxiety of life events that take hold in our bodies as chronic pain.  So let's not overlook the other sources of our bodily pain. The nervous system doesn't lie, but we need to translate its language.  

Your closeness to your best friends and family plays a role in each others' health.  Be there for each other. 

I have the opportunity to do so with my long term practice members. 

--Dr. Lisa

Your Health Freedom Coach

Liberating Your Nervous System from Unacceptable Ideas (like aging)

Expand Your Talents Beyond Your Comfort Zone.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right never have I ever realized how important the connection of body and mind are and even more our spirit which is the key to good help and good health. Keep up the good work people like you are rare who really care about people and not the Almighty buck. See you around I still am riding my bike but not as often since I was hit. Don't worry I'm fine my Angels were watching out for me again. I don't think I ever got over my misdiagnosed broken hip but I can forgive because we all make mistakes in life. That never seems to end but I'm glad we have a maker who understands and is full of compassion and love.

Lisa Ann Homic, M.Ed. D.C. said...

Thank you. I know we'll run into each other soon enough. You have done so well and I still remember the day you told me about your fantastic breakthrough!