Create Your Healing Experience

Is this office the right fit for you? Watch the New Member Orientation Video: CLICK HERE It is required before your first visit.

HOME...What Patients Say. ......Brain First/Body Freedom.......Translate Pain/Anxiety Correctly

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Super Size Me -- Are We Asleep at the Wheel?

I just watched Super Size Me http://www.supersizeme.com/ I could not imagine anyone eating at a fast food restaurant multiple times a day or multiple times a week. Funny, I worked at McDonald's during college so I have to think back to what I ate. I stopped working there in 1989 and became a vegetarian in 1992. I have not been a vegetarian since 2002. I probably ate something there everyday. I do believe I didn't eat a lot of Filet O Fish or McNuggets. I did eat cheeseburgers and fries. I drank soda everyday, although I did not have soda at my house (I lived at home back then). I did not find the salads very appetizing because the boiled eggs, ham, chicken, and cucumbers were really "gross" to me. They were not fresh. They came in plastic bags and were not "real."

The two most interesting points of the movie that caught my attention were the following:

(1) It took Morgan almost a year to lose the weight he gained in 30 days. It took him longer to lose the last 4 pounds. Yikes!! That's a warning for all of us. I still have some of my "baby" fat from pregnancy. I could easily gain more weight and make it even more difficult for myself.

(2) One of the bariatric surgeons said stomach surgery is the only cure for diabetics (in his experience I am assuming). To me, this idea takes away people's belief that they can protect their own health. Sometimes it is difficult to avoid eating a food that is not healthy, but we are not stuck in a fast food time warp. I think this doctor's comment sends a very dangerous message. He gives his blessing to eat whatever is at your reach without a thought of the consequences, because anyone can just get his or her stomach sewn up. Is that what we have evolved into? Yikes, again. Yikes. Yikes. Yikes.

No comments: